Introspective Advent #9 Learning Skills

10 décembre 2013

As a disclaimer : I'm not answering to all the introspective advent prompts offered by The Nife, I prefer to focus on the one that resonate with me or the ones that I feel I have difficulties to tackle (meaning I'm onto something). 


Today's Introspection: Learning Skills

My 2013 objective/wish was: 
I can't say I had objectives per say, I had some wishes but nothing really firm. So for example I wanted to improve :

  • my photography skills 
  • my drawing skills (sketching more precisely)
  • my teaching skills
  • writing skills (both as a diarist and a fiction writer)
One thing I discovered also is that I want to sing and know how to use my voice.


What I succeeded at: 
Hum. 
There are no successes really. 
I did take action tho to improve in all of these areas. 

 I read my camera manual.






I purchased a book about drawing, as well as drawing tools and watercolor set




 Concerning work I went to a very inspiring workshop with Pascale Toscani, a researcher in neurosciences. I got some books from there too. I've also tried to motivate the teachers of my department to cooperate and create resources together. This is quite hard to put in place.




As for writing I am now part of a writing group, with some beautiful geeks. I've only been to one of the two meetings held till now. 

  


For the singing I went to a workshop over a weekend I've been thinking I'll get some lessons at the beginning of the new year, as I'm paying for therapy and the gym at the moment and can't afford everything. 


The difficulties I encountered: 
I'm not making time for any of this. I am not improving because I'm not practicing. I have the tools but they seem to just sit there as proofs of my intentions to better myself. 

The key learning I can remember from 2013: 
Maybe I need to set SMART goals and start getting accountable to friends and family. I always work better when I have to answer to my goals.

My objectives for 2014:



I actually have a project around the concept of the "uncanny" that I'll have to work on for an exhibition with my photography club.




I can finish the workbook based on a workshop, that should improve my skills. I like to follow this blogger too.




I'll make continuous efforts with my colleagues, read the books I purchased and see how to apply them. I'll set some goals concerning my expectations for the pupils' achievements and review the topics I want to work on. 




I actually found a course of action on The Guardian, and will try to follow it. This will be for the longer work (a novel!). For the shorter work I'll be more regular with my personal life record and attend the writing sessions. 
  


Clearly not a priority for now. However I can start looking at the kind of songs I want to sing and learn them.


Aucun commentaire

Enregistrer un commentaire